Saturday, February 9, 2013

[my little greenhouse]

I'm a bit surprised how much I'm enjoying gardening ... I guess because it's exercise with the bonus of a nice garden ... I've always been a multi-tasking kinda girl.

Over the last couple of years I've been growing cuttings and collecting a few seeds after things have flowered - so far I've just been propagating plants for around my garden - and the challenge of seeing what grows and what doesn't has been rewarding. The added bonus is that it costs me next to nothing... there's nothing I hate more than buying a plant that goes and dies on me! To keep things nice and cheap I just kept recycling pots from the few plants I have bought over the years; but now I'm really getting into it, I've run out of pots! Not to be beaten, I started recycling our empty 2L milk bottles (my boys drink so much, if we had a paddock, I'd consider a house cow!). Every other day when we finish a bottle, I wash it out, cut the bottom off, drill a few drainage holes, and 'voila' a free pot!

I'm not a total scrooge though, and I did lash out last week when a special became available at an online store, and bought a little 1.5m square greenhouse. My little greenhouse arrived during the week and yesterday afternoon I played garden Mecchano and put all the bits together to build it. Today I've gone around my garden beds and collected all the little pots I had, including some orchids and other plants I'm babysitting while my Mum is away travelling. It's all looking a bit professional now, so my vague plan of putting up my excess plants for sale online for a bit of holiday pocket money is looking closer to becoming a reality!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? Well, leave it here...