Monday, February 27, 2012

[Ikea mod for TV cabinet]

It's funny how Ikea furniture has great storage options, but sometimes it doesn't quite fit your application perfectly, so a few mods are needed... using saws, 12V drills and a bit of crossing your fingers hoping it will work. I only have a small wall where I can put my TV, so all the modern lowline entertainment units are just too wide. My solution...go vertical.


 We finally have homes for everything — even RoboVac has a new garage!


I can also display a few trinkets, like my lucky elephant, the dome clock I got as a 21st present, and some happy Buddhas.

The rest of the dust collectors (vases, candles and so forth) are all hidden away behind a funky silver roller door that matches a couple of other furniture pieces in my office, which is adjacent to the lounge room.

 

The holes to attach this cabinet to the wall didn't line up with the wall studs (typical), so a block of timber screwed horizontally to the wall studs, then screws on this timber in the right place holds it on the wall perfectly. I also managed to find some white PVC angle at Bunnings to use as a filler to cover the gap made by the timber (I even cut the mitres with a hacksaw!)


The cabinet the TV is on also didn't have any outlet holes in the back for the cords of the relevant players and set top box, so Baz and I did a joint effort on this one, getting plastic circle goodies from Bunnings and cutting two circular holes to slot these in. Ikea chipboard has a knack of breaking out sometimes, so Bunnings thankfully also sell white contact (that's ultra thin), that can cover a few 'oopsies'. Lucky for us the 'oopsies' were at the back, so I probably should've kept my mouth shut and you would've been none the wiser.

Phew! Now to photograph the old TV cabinet and put it up on eBay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? Well, leave it here...