Tuesday, December 20, 2011

[the bed head project]


It's my eldest's 12th birthday tomorrow, and I made it, I got the room habitable for him to move into his new space. I am far from finished (still so much to sort) but it is all in boxes, bags or on shelves ready for me to got through. Apart from dumping almost half a wheelie bin full of junk, by far my biggest achievement in this room's transformation has been making an upholstered bed head.


I was lucky enough to have my timber cut to the correct size at Bunnings, so was a simple glue and nail job to put the pine frame together with the MDF base. A trip to Spotlight for the wadding and fabric (which my boy chose himself), and then it was staple gun time.

Wadding and fabric cut to size
Fabric stapled on, and split batten attached

I hadn't forgotten the techniques of folding beautiful hospital corners on the edges from when I learnt to make my own canvasses, and I'm so happy with how neat they turned out. The trick to the bed head is how it's attached to the wall with a split batten - one half goes on the bed head, and then this slots in onto the other half attached to the wall. 



Still some more refurbishing to do to the shelving, not to mention the mountain of toys to sort through, but my 12-year-old with the attitude to match should have enough of his own space to have pre-teenage angst in for the time being. The hardest thing will be getting all the things sorted before he decides to have a look at what's there 'for old time's sake'. I'm certain stealth sorting still be will be required to achieve my task of culling the unnecessary clutter.


Almost there. xx






No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? Well, leave it here...